The Snow Farm
The Snow Farm NZ is owned and operated by the Pisa Alpine Charitable Trust (PACT) and is operated on Queenstown Lakes District Council land. The resort is the only non-profit ski area in the Southern Lakes region.
Founded in 1986 by Mary and John Lee on Waiorau Farm, the Snow Farm was the first cross-country ski area in New Zealand. Originally called the Waiorau Nordic Ski Area, Waiorau was the Maori name that Ngai Tahu gave to the area, that translates to ‘the place of over one hundred waters’. The name was later changed to reflect its farming heritage.
Terrain and Trails
- 55km of trails groomed for both skating and classic cross-country skiing
- 24km of snowshoe trail
- Snow Fun Zone which includes a 150m tubing/sledding hill.
- 40% beginner trail
- 20% intermediate trail
- 40% advanced trail
- Base elevation: 1520m (4990ft) above sea level.
- Highest point: Mt Pisa 1965m (6445ft) above sea level.
- Season: late June – late September
- Opening hours: 9am – 4pm daily