Kids Cross Country Ski Programmes
Whether it is your child’s first time on the snow or they are a competitive cross-country racer, the Snow Farm kids programmes are the perfect way for your child to have a ton of fun, make friends, and develop new skills.
Learning to cross-country ski opens up a whole new side to skiing; one that promotes a healthy lifestyle, respect for the alpine environment and freedom from the ski lifts. We guarantee your kids will look forward to every session and will quickly become confident skiers ready to explore the trails at the Snow Farm.
Snow Farm NZ has three programs in 2018 for kids from aged 3 to 18 years old. Each program is specifically tailored to age and ability, in some instances, we may recommend moving kids up or down depending on their ability.
We will be holding an open day for the programmes on Saturday the 7th of July, which will also facilitate grading of the kids into appropriate groups. Please register online for the free days or it can be done on the day. Spots are limited in the open days so register online so you don’t miss out.
Open day times are as follows:
- Merino Lambs 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Mini Merinos 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Development Team 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
All participants in the Mini Merinos or Development teams will be able to purchase a Youth Seasons pass for $50 with an additional $50 for rentals if required. Merino Lambs are free.
Book into the open days below to secure your child’s spot in the programmes for the 2018 Winter Season. There is no charge and you will not be asked for any credit card details, but you will need to book to secure a spot!
The Merino Lambs are for kids 3-5 years old for a new to snow experience. With our instructor, they will play fun games and learn basic fundamentals of cross-country skiing. They will also spend time in the Snow Fun Zone and spend time doing other activities in the snow. This program has regular breaks and, in some instances, may require parent participation. This program only runs on Saturday.
6 weeks – $80
- Starts 28th July
- Every Saturday from 10:00 am -12:00 pm
- A six-week program only for our younger (3-5-year-old) skiers,
- The focus is on games, fun and fitness and working towards becoming independent skiers.
- Learn the fundamentals of ski technique.
- Build towards participation in the Mini Merino Muster event on the 1st of September.
- There will be no Minis on the day of the Merino Muster, but we would encourage all kids to be involved with the kids race!
- Includes entry fee into the Mini Merino Muster
- Prize giving September 7th
- Parent participation may be required in some instances.
- Trail Passes and Rentals included.
The Mini Merinos is for kids aged 5-12 and focused on developing the fundamentals of Cross Country Skiing. The Program runs for 3 hours with a short break in the middle where the kids can grab a drink, warm up or have a snack. The program will include encouragement to compete in regular Snow Farm events and to try Biathlon, with an emphasis on participation.
6 weekends – $120
- Starts on July 28th
- Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00am–1:00pm.
- A six-week program for primary school children (6 -12 years old).
- The focus is on progressing ski technique, exploring the mountain, safety and looking after each other.
- While they will move towards some low-key competition, the emphasis is on participation.
- Build on the fundamentals of ski technique.
- Build towards participation in the 7km Merino Muster event on the 1st of September.
- There will be no Mini’s on the day of the Merino Muster but we would expect all kids to participate in the event.
- Includes entry fee into the Merino Muster
- Mini Merinos will get the chance to race in the Snow Farm race series
- Prize giving September 7th
- Feeder to the Junior Development Squad
The Development Team is focused on taking the lessons learnt in the Mini Merinos and polishes those skills. A focus is on learning about competitions and performance. Kids will learn about waxing, sports psychology and participate in Regular Snow Farm Cross Country and Biathlon Events.
It builds young skiers into successful cross-country ski racers. There may be other optional scheduled sessions outside of normal practice time, to be announced during winter. Any secondary-school aged kids who want to develop their skills and fitness to a competitive level and have more time on the snow are encouraged to join.
This programme provides ongoing cross-country skiing training for biathlon and skiers alike. Every weekend for 10 weeks intensive and focused groups sessions will be held aimed at developing our youth and providing a clear pathway for their progression.
10 Weekends – $240
- Starts on July 7th and runs for 10 weeks.
- Training will take place on both Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 am until 1:00 pm. There will be a short break in the middle for a snack and drink, and in some instances, more time will be spent off snow learning about waxing, race tactics and dryland training.
- This will be competition focused and aimed towards high performance.
- For involvement in biathlon, participants must complete a target shooting program.
- For involvement in biathlon, participants must be members of the Wanaka Biathlon Club.
- There will be no training on the day of the Merino Muster but we would encourage all kids to be racing.
- Development Squad will compete in all regular season Snow Farm races.
- All development team members will participate in race series.