Picture the scene: all of your family/friends snuggled up by the fire, playing games and watching the snow, after an epic afternoon cross-country skiing/snowshoeing across the Pisa Range. If that sounds appealing, you’re bound to enjoy an overnight stay at one of our backcountry huts. Snow Farm NZ has three backcountry hut options to choose from — Meadow, Bob Lee and Daisy Lee. Each hut features a gas cooker, log burner and firewood as well as a small range of cooking and cutlery equipment. All you need to bring is food, drinks, a sleeping bag and your overnight things. For those who haven’t been to a backcountry hut before, there will be no mains electricity, no running water and a long-drop toilet outside. Here at Snow Farm NZ we believe everything is better at the top of a mountain, but that’s just our point of view.
Meadow Hut – Sleeps 20 people & is 3.4km from the base area
Bob Lee Hut – Sleeps 7 and is 6km from the base area
Daisy Lee Hut – Sleepx 6 and is next to Bob Lee 6km from the base area.
All huts are able to be booked exclusively as well as by the bed.
Please note: In our online shop, the ‘[Name of hut] Overnight Stay’ fee covers the hut overnight stay only. A trail pass (to access our trails) and rentals (skis, boots, poles) will be an additional charge — please see Overnight Trail Pass & Rentals Package.
What to bring?
- Mobile phone It’s essential that your group has an fully-charged and operational mobile phone to hand in case of emergencies. We also recommend a back-up USB battery pack to ensure your phone does not run out of battery.
- First Aid Kit All of our huts have first-aid kits but we always suggest our guests also carry their own first-aid kit in case an accident occurs when travelling to or from the huts.
- Pillow and sleeping bag Snow Farm NZ provides mattresses in the huts but you must bring your own sleeping bag and if desired, a pillow.
- Food and drink However, the backcountry huts should have all the cooking equipment and utensils you need in order to prepare an enjoyable meal, including gas cookers, cutlery, pots, pans and cups.
- Drinking water Snow Farm NZ provides water at the huts in 20L containers, that have been filled at the Snow Farm Lodge from their drinking water supply. That said, we cannot guarantee what happens after we leave the water at the hut, so we recommend that you boil any water for three minutes before drinking it — or bring in drinking water with you.
- Torches While the Meadow Hut has a solar LED lighting system and the Bob Lee has portable solar lights, we recommend that each member of your group has a head-torch (flashlight) or similar light source with them. All huts have on-site outdoor long-drop toilets and in the event of an emergency or evacuation night torches will be required.
- Medication If anyone in your party has a medical condition that requires medication, please ensure they take three extra days of medication. Please also ensure you have made staff at the Snow Farm NZ fully aware of their condition.
Hut bag transfers (winter only)
Snow Farm NZ provides bag transport to the hut using our snowmobile and an attached luggage trailer. This trailer is open-topped and can occasionally get snow in it. All gear must be stored in a weather-proof bag or in a chilly bin or sturdy box. All liquids must be in sealed containers.
Snow Farm reserves the right to refuse individual items of gear not stored inside a pack or bag. Our pricing is per bag, chilly bin or box, additional bags may be purchased at the time of check-in at Snow Farm’s Guest Services. Please bring your bags through to Guest Services where you will receive instructions about where to drop them off.
Our snowmobile bag transfer service leaves the main base area at 2pm and will collect your bags from the hut at 9am the following day. All bags, including sealed rubbish bags, must be packed and placed by the door of the hut. There are rubbish bags at the huts.
It is difficult to be flexible on these times as the round trip can often take time and we need to ensure the safety of our employees being off the trails before dark. Please have your gear ready when indicated.
Can I book the hut exclusively or do I always have to share?
When you book, you have the choice to book the whole hut for your group’s exclusive use or to book individual bunks for your group.